Wine and Food Matcher

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Week 9: Our Moroccan Dinner



 By now you've probably read about the delicious Moroccan dessert that looked fittingly like footballs. If not, check it out here. But dessert wasn't all my family enjoyed for our Moroccan adventure. We also enjoyed a hearty stew and a crisp, and rather unique tasting, salad.

Our salad was simple, healthy- and not a big hit. We didn't dislike it. It just wasn't something any of us fell in love with. Perhaps it would have been better if I'd spent the money on Argan oil. I substituted sesame oil per the original recipe. Or, it might be better served with something other than a vegetable curry.



 Slice apples.




 Slice cucumbers. Section oranges.


Toss in a dressing of oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve.


The stew was actually a vegetable curry. Personally I never would have considered combining the involved ingredients together. It really worked! The flavors were delicious. I would definitely serve it to guests if I knew they were adventurous. We were all disappointed when the last bite was eaten. Marakesh Vegetable Curry is just that good.


Diced sweet potato placed in a pot
Cubing eggplant to add to the pot.

Added to the mix are bell peppers, carrot, onion (I was out so I cut a corner and used onion powder!), and sautéed in olive oil.

By now the kitchen was starting to smell pretty nice. Adding a few more spices really kicked it up a notch. My home started to fill with a mouth-watering aroma.




In olive oil, garlic, turmeric,  curry powder, and cinnamon were heated with some salt and pepper, and then added to the pot of vegetables with some

 chickpeas,

sliced zucchini,


almonds,

raisins,

and----

Orange Juice!



At this point I had to cover the pot and let it cook. While it cooked I made the couscous. Here's my secret recipe for couscous.


Once the couscous and the salad were prepped, the stew was about ready. 



The smell made my mouth water, despite the odd combination of ingredients. Walking in, my husband called out "What's that wonderful smell? Whatever it is, I'm hungry! Is it ready!?"

  I added some frozen chopped spinach and served.  Here's the link to the original recipe if you're interested in trying it yourself.








No comments:

Post a Comment