Wine and Food Matcher

Friday, February 24, 2012

Week 10: Tunisia

For using such normal American ingredients our meal certain turned out different than a typical American meal.



 Wouldn't mind having it again. I think my toddler liked it the most. It certainly was inexpensive.

It was also exceptionally quick, and easy, to make. I literally could throw it together for lunch. No double checking the recipe or making sure the amounts were just right. Shakshuka is so simple all I had to do was read through a couple recipes on-line and I was good to go.

Tunisian Shakshuka

1-2 tsp cumin
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 chopped bell pepper
large can crushed tomatoes (about 28 oz)
salt and pepper to taste

chili paste to taste
eggs (1 per person)


Chop the bell pepper. I used about 1 1/2 bell peppers. If I didn't happen to have pre-chopped onion I would've chopped 1 onion at this point.

Cumin in the skillet over low heat. Just until it released the aromas.

Added the onion and some olive oil. Just until it started to soften a little.


Next the chopped bell pepper, and continued cooking until softened.

 Once the onion and peppers were softened I added a large can's worth of crushed tomatoes from my ziplock bag. Also added a little chili paste, salt, and pepper to taste. Then I covered it and let cook on low for about 20 minutes. Had to add a little water to get a nice texture.
For the final step I added 1 egg per person. There are two techniques commonly used to cook the eggs in Shakshuka. You can either scramble the eggs or cook them sunny side up on top of the vegetables. I chose to scramble.
As you can see, even with the added green onion to garnish it just looked prettier without the scrambling. I think, if I do make this again, I'm going to leave the yolks unbroken on the eggs.

Not bad for an easy, cheap, and rather interesting lunch!





2 comments:

  1. That is a really interesting looking dish.

    Stopping by from the Friday Hops.
    Have a great weekend.
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed reading about it.

    ReplyDelete